Friday 9 August 2013

A Rainbow of protest

It's been a while since I blogged but there is something I want to talk about. I say talk but I mean shout. I mean get on my soapbox and berate the world until it listens to me. But I know that is not the way to go about these things so I will talk.

I will talk about Russia and their new laws banning the promotion of "non-traditional relationships". We keep hearing stories of violence, intolerance and bigotry happening in Russia. And what do we do? We give them the 2014 Olympic games. 

Now forgive me if I'm wrong but hosting something like the Olympic games is an honour. It brings revenue and a certain amount of status to your country. It is a sign of support for your country by all who take part. So why are we rewarding a country that is marginalising part of it's population?

The first 2 points of the Olympic Charter read thusly:

1. Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the 
qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism 
seeks to create a way of life based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good 
example, social responsibility and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles.
2. The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development

of humankind, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the 
preservation of human dignity.

I don't see how the IOC can say they are upholding these ideals if the games go ahead in Russia. 

So now to the protest part. I would dearly like to send a message to Russia that the above is not ok by inundating their embassies with Rainbows. The rainbow insignia is effectively illegal in Russia now due to it's association with LGBT rights. So I'm calling all knitters and crocheters, all sewers and cross stitchers, all artists and sculptors. Anyone who can put crayon to paper. Make a rainbow, make several, and send them to any and all embassies. Send them daily, weekly, whenever. Here is a list of all the addresses.

To send directly to Putin the address is 23, Ilyinka Street, Moscow, 103132, Russia. It must be addressed to the President of Russia or the Presidential Executive Office.

Spread the word!


6 comments:

  1. (this is unforth)
    You might need to remind me (more than once) but I'd like to participate in this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful idea, and I'm in. But I think a message also needs to be sent to the IOC. They're the ones who are allowing the games to go on there despite Russia's blatant disrespect for human rights. They need to feel our rainbows too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I will have a look for some addresses for them too.

      Delete
  3. Great idea..I shared on our team page..and on Facebook...one of my team members also posted on FB....

    ReplyDelete