Sunday 14 March 2010

Farming and cooking

That pretty much sums up my weekend. On Saturday me and Spadger went to the farm for the day. It was gloriously sunny, if slightly chilly in the wind. The sky was bright blue and the earth smelt amazing! I planted out 42 currant cuttings. Hopefully all those will take as the farm will be able to sell them. We helped herd the sheep that have had lambs already up to the top field. There's nothing quite like standing and shaking a bucket of feed while yelling "come on sheep" at the top of your lungs :o) I them spent the rest of the day grubbing in muck pulling all the plastic and baling twine out of it. Spadger and George were doing the muck spreading and as much plastic and gubbins needed to be pulled out as possible before the man with the rotivator could come. The twine wraps around the blades as badly as hair round our vacuum brush so it's a bit of a problem. After that we were going to finish he muck spreading where the raspberry canes are going but just after we started they realised that the rotivator had a bucket on the front and could do all that. We left a bit earlier this week as we had an invite to a beer festival. It would have been rude to turn that down.

Today has been all about the cooking for me. I baked bread first off. Once again I was able to put the dough in the greenhouse to rise. I love that. It means that I don't have to use the oven to heat the kitchen which saves us fuel. Normally I wouldn't be able to do that until full summer when I can put the dough on the living room windowsill. I even put the yeast in the greenhouse to go off today and man did it!! I then made a giant gingerbread muffing and a batch of cinnamon rolls that I got from Bright and New. They worked quite well. I haven't iced them yet and might not bother.

The plan was for me to make dinner for my Momma for Mother's Day during the short break she had in work. However due to my lousy sense of timing when it comes to cooking she ended up taking it home in tubs to enjoy for supper :o( I'm a bit rubbish. However she seemed to be happy with it and the little fabric flowers I made her. I managed to sort out some of those in time for all 3 mothers in my life (Momma, stepmother and mother in law). So I hope all you mommas out there had a lovely day and your little (and not so little) ones did something nice for you.

I leave you today with a picture of a carrot. I thought it was rather pretty :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment